Hafa Adai Parents/Guardians and Students,
In our efforts to increase communication, the Administrative Team provides you with these monthly notices. Our philosophy is: Bridging gaps while balancing expectations as we focus on building students’ futures. While partnering with parents/guardians and teachers, we are able help maximize your child’s educational experience. You are encouraged to visit our website at www.jfkislanders.com for ongoing announcements and other pertinent information. As a reminder, the first bell rings at 6:45 A.M. Please take note of the following:
- We are appreciative of those parents and students who submitted the following documents to their 1st period teacher last week Friday: Student Emergency and Health Information Form (green copy), Power Announcement Parent Contact Form (pink copy), School Counseling Informed Consent Form, Education Technical Use Policy Agreement, Wireless Network Agreement & Cell Phone Use Agreement. Late submissions may be given to your 1st period teacher by Sept. 7.
- Current school policy allows for jackets and sweaters to be worn as long as the front of the uniform is visible. To be more accommodating, students may wear pullovers in the classrooms. When in the hallways, students will be asked to remove their pullovers, unzip jackets, or unbutton sweaters so that the uniform is visible. Exceptions will be made on rainy days.
- Islander Pride/Spirit Day- Fridays are designated as Islander Pride/Spirit Days. Students are permitted to wear their club & organization shirt, class T-shirt, or JFKHS team jersey. For the latter, tank/sleeveless tops may be worn with a tee-shirt underneath.
- Spirit shirts must represent a chartered JFKHS club/organization or official team and must bear the words “JFKHS,” “John F. Kennedy High School,” the likeness of John Kennedy, and/or the JFKHS logo.
- Students wearing spirit shirts must wear their school uniform pants/shorts.
- Join us at our first Parent-Teacher-Student Association Meeting (PTSA) on Thursday, Sept. 13 at 6:30 P.M. in the Media Center. Election of officers will take place. All parents/ guardians are highly encouraged to attend.
- SAVE THE DATE: JFK’s Open House is scheduled for Fri., Sept. 14 from 4-6 P.M. in the center courtyard. Also, support our Islander athletes: the girls’ volleyball teams have games starting at 5:30 P.M., and the football team has a game at 7P.M.
- The first quarter Seniors and Parents’ Information Meeting (SPIM) is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 14 from 6-7 P.M. in the cafeteria. Important matters will be discussed.
- Because we are a closed campus, only immediate family members may deliver their child/sibling’s lunch to the Main Office between 10-10:45 A.M. Please inform your child to proceed to the Main Office at the start of lunch to get his/her food.
- For safety reasons, random searches and evacuation drills will be conducted on a monthly basis.
- Campus Hours – Students are not allowed on campus before 5:50 A.M. Safety first!
- Students are on campus from 5:50 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. When school ends at 1:45 P.M., athletes must wait for their coach(es) by the gate near the cafeteria.
- Main Office and SSSO hours are 6:00 A.M. – 2:15 P.M.
- Counseling, Nurse’s Office, and the Library hours are 6:15 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
- The administration has a standing practice that we do not accept any birthday or special-occasion deliveries for students
i.e. flowers, candy grams, stuffed animals, balloons, etc.
- Students using the Kmart crosswalk are expected to follow the traffic signals. Jaywalking is against the law. Think safety first!
- The speed limit on campus is 5 MPH.
- Graduation requirements are 24 credits (as per Board Policy 351.4) and 75 hours of service learning hours (Public Law 30-53). See your counselor for a credit check, and see your teachers for service learning opportunities.
- First Quarter IIAAG Sports are in progress: Football, Cross Country, Golf, and Girls’ Volleyball. Support the Islanders!
Thank you for your support and assistance in helping us to meet our objectives. As a reminder, updates are available via the school website: www.jfkislanders.com, the parent and student portals of PowerSchool, and the school marquee. Have a great day!
Dr. Adamos, Principal, and Administrative Team