Hafa Adai Parents/Guardians and Students,
Happy New Year to you all! In our efforts to increase communication, the Administrative Team provides you with this monthly notice. Our philosophy is: Bridging gaps while balancing expectations as we focus on building students’ futures. While partnering with parents/guardians and teachers, we are able help maximize your child’s educational experience. You are encouraged to visit our website at www.jfkislanders.com for ongoing announcements and other pertinent information. Please take note of the following:
- Mark your calendar:
- Tuesday, Jan. 8 – Second quarter/first semester ends. Report cards will be issued to students on the week of Jan. 14. Credits and service learning hours earned count toward graduation!
- Wednesday, Jan. 9 – Third quarter/second semester begins. See your counselor for a schedule change if you are repeating a class that you already passed, or if you are a potential 2019 graduate and your schedule doesn’t reflect a course needed to meet graduation requirements.
- Thursday, Jan. 17 – Parent Teacher Student Association Meeting (PTSA) in the Media Center/Library at
6:30 P.M. All parents/guardians and students are invited to attend.
- Monday, Jan. 21 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday; there is no school.
- The first bell rings at 6:45 A.M. The tardy bell rings at 6:55 A.M. Consistent attendance and timely arrival on campus matter! Put into practice two of our four School-wide Learner Outcomes (SLOs): Responsible Citizens and Problem Solvers!
- JFK’s Lock-Out Policy is in effect. Students should be in their classes before the tardy bell rings. Be responsible!
- Pre-order your SY2018-19 Yearbook in D116 during lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Parents/Guardians, you may order a copy by setting up an appointment with Mr. Orot via firstname.lastname@example.org. Yearbooks are on sale for $70 until January 25, 2019, and the price will increase to $80 starting Jan. 28th until copies run out. Cash only and exact change is preferred. Get your yearbook before they are all gone!
- If there are any changes to student demographic information or residency, the parent/guardian must meet with the Counseling secretary to update PowerSchool. If you haven’t done so, please fill out the Emergency and Health Information Form (EIHF) and submit it to the Nurse’s Office.
- Make-up Work: Students are responsible in communicating and following up with teachers for make-up work. Submit the work within the given due date. Reminder: unexcused absences or absences that are excused after the grace period of three school days do not guarantee full access to make up work. Be responsible with attendance, excuse notes, and make-up work.
- Fridays are designated as Islander Pride/Spirit Days. Students are permitted to wear their club & organization shirt, class T-shirt, or JFKHS team jersey. For the latter, tank/sleeveless tops must be worn with a tee-shirt underneath.
- Spirit shirts must represent a chartered JFKHS club/organization or official team and must bear the words “JFKHS,” “John F. Kennedy High School,” the likeness of John F. Kennedy, and/or the JFKHS logo.
- Students wearing spirit shirts must wear their school uniform pants/shorts.
- Because we are a closed campus, only immediate family members may deliver their child/sibling’s lunch to the Main Office between 10-10:45 A.M. Please inform your child to proceed to the Main Office at the start of lunch to get his/her food.
- For safety reasons, random searches and evacuation drills are conducted on a monthly basis.
- Campus Hours:
- Students are on campus from 5:50 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. When school ends at 1:45 P.M., athletes must wait for their coach(es) by the gate near the cafeteria.
- Main Office, SSSO, Counseling, and Nurse’s hours are 6:00 A.M. – 2:15 P.M.
- Library hours effective Jan. 8: 6:30 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
- The Administration has a standing practice that we do not accept any birthday or special-occasion deliveries for
students, for example, flowers, candy grams, stuffed animals, balloons, etc.
- Students using the Kmart crosswalk are expected to follow the traffic signals. Jaywalking is against the law. Think safety first!
- The speed limit on campus is 5 MPH.
- Graduation requirements are 24 credits (as per Board Policy 351.4) and 75 hours of service learning hours (Public Law 30-53). See your counselor for a credit check, and see your teachers for service learning opportunities. Visit the Guam Service Learning website too.
Thank you for your support and assistance in helping us to meet our objectives. As a reminder, updates are available via the school website: www.jfkislanders.com, the parent and student portals of PowerSchool, and the school marquee. Have a great day!
Dr. Adamos, Principal, and Administrative Team