In our efforts to increase communication, the Administrative Team provides you with this monthly notice. Our philosophy is: Bridging gaps while balancing expectations as we focus on building students’ futures. While partnering with parents/guardians and teachers, we are able help maximize your child’s educational experience. You are encouraged to visit our website at www.jfkislanders.com for ongoing announcements and other pertinent information. Please take note of the following:
- Mark your calendar:
- Monday, Feb. 4 – scheduled make-up day; this is a GOLD DAY (periods 2, 4, and 6)!
- Friday, Feb. 8 – 3rd Seniors & Parents Information Meeting (SPIM) at 6 P.M. in the cafeteria. Your presences is highly encouraged!
- Monday, Feb. 11 – Students will receive their mid-quarter progress reports. Do your best, Islanders!
- Thursday, Feb. 21 – Parent Teacher Student Association Meeting (PTSA) in the Media Center/Library at
6:30 P.M. All parents/guardians and students are invited to attend.
- Saturday, Feb. 23 – Islander Pride Day at the Micronesia Mall Center Court. Please join us as we showcase our academic and extra-curricular programs, students’ work, and Islander talent!
- The first bell rings at 6:45 A.M. The tardy bell rings at 6:55 A.M. Consistent attendance and timely arrival on campus matter! Put into practice two of our four School-wide Learner Outcomes (SLOs): Responsible Citizens and Problem Solvers!
- JFK’s Lock-Out Policy is in effect. Students should be in their classes before the tardy bell rings. Be responsible!
- If there are any changes to student demographic information or residency, the parent/guardian must meet with the Counseling clerk to update PowerSchool. If you haven’t done so, please fill out the Emergency and Health Information Form (EIHF) and submit it to the Nurse’s Office.
- Pre-order your SY2018-19 Yearbook in D116 during lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Parents/Guardians, you may order a copy by setting up an appointment with Mr. Orot via email@example.com. Yearbooks are on sale for $80 until copies run out. Cash only; please have the exact amount. Get your yearbook before they are all gone!
- For the Seniors: Yearbook congratulatory advertisements are on sale now. Half page advertisements are $50 (self-made) or $70 (Yearbook-made), while full-page advertisements are $100 (self-made) or $120 (Yearbook-made). Advertisements can be purchased at D116 during lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays, or you can set an appointment with Mr. Orot at firstname.lastname@example.org. The last day to purchase an advertisement is March 22. Purchased self-made advertisements are due March 29.
- Public-Law 34-01– the minimum age of legal access to tobacco products and electronic cigarettes is 21 years of age. Students caught in possession of these contraband items and/or smoking will be dealt with according to the law and board policies. All confiscated electronic cigarette devices, such as vape, will be confiscated from the student and submitted to the Guam Police Department.
- Make-up Work: Students are responsible in communicating and following up with teachers for make-up work. Submit the work within the given due date. Reminder: unexcused absences or absences that are excused after the grace period of three school days do not guarantee full access to make up work. Be responsible with attendance, excuse notes, and make-up work.
- Random students will be selected to participate in the 2019 Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) that begins on Feb. 18. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated!
- For safety reasons, random searches and evacuation drills are conducted on a monthly basis.
- Fridays are designated as Islander Pride/Spirit Days. Students are permitted to wear their club & organization shirt, class T-shirt, or JFKHS team jersey. For the latter, tank/sleeveless tops must be worn with a tee-shirt underneath.
- Spirit shirts must represent a chartered JFKHS club/organization or official team and must bear the words “JFKHS,” “John F. Kennedy High School,” the likeness of John F. Kennedy, and/or the JFKHS logo.
- Students wearing spirit shirts must wear their school uniform pants/shorts.
- Because we are a closed campus, only immediate family members may deliver their child/sibling’s lunch to the Main Office between 10-10:45 A.M. Please inform your child to proceed to the Main Office at the start of lunch to get his/her food.
- Campus Hours:
- Students are on campus from 5:50 A.M. to 2:00 P.M. When school ends at 1:45 P.M., athletes must wait for their coach(es) by the gate near the cafeteria.
- Main Office, SSSO, Counseling, and Nurse’s hours are 6:00 A.M. – 2:15 P.M.
- Library hours effective Jan. 8: 6:30 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
- The Administration has a standing practice that we do not accept any birthday or special-occasion deliveries for
students, for example, flowers, candy grams, stuffed animals, balloons, etc.
- Students using the Kmart crosswalk are expected to follow the traffic signals. Jaywalking is against the law. Think safety first!
- The speed limit on campus is 5 MPH.
- Graduation requirements are 24 credits (as per Board Policy 351.4) and 75 hours of service learning hours (Public Law 30-53). See your counselor for a credit check, and see your teachers for service learning opportunities. Visit the Guam Service Learning website too.
- Members of the National Honor Society (NHS) offer tutoring during lunch for the following subjects:
Tuesday: Social Studies (D116); Math (D205); and English (B206)*
*ESL – Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, and Tagalog
Thursday: Social Studies (D116); English (B210); and Science (D113)
All students are encouraged to participate. Please ask your teacher for an official Tutoring Pass.
- Third Quarter Sports are in session: Boys Basketball, Girls Softball, Rugby, and Tennis. Visit our website for the schedules. Support your Islander Athletes!
Thank you for your support and assistance in helping us to meet our objectives. As a reminder, updates are available via the school website: www.jfkislanders.com, the parent and student portals of PowerSchool, and the school marquee. Have a great day!
Dr. Adamos, Principal, and Administrative Team