Hafa Adai Parents/Guardians and Students,
As of today, we have 17 more days of school! Let’s make every day count! Islanders, do your best as regular attendance and successful completion of assignments are important for earning your credits! In our efforts to increase communication, the Administrative Team provides you with this monthly notice. Our philosophy is: Bridging gaps while balancing expectations as we focus on building students’ futures. While partnering with parents/guardians and teachers, we are able to help maximize your child’s educational experience. You are encouraged to visit our website at www.jfkislanders.com for ongoing announcements and other pertinent information. Please take note of the following:
1. Mark your calendar:
A. Friday, May 3 – Seniors and Parents Information Meeting (SPIM) #4 in the cafeteria at 6:00 P.M. Stay informed!
B. JFK Annual Students’ Art Show – May 4 & 5 from 10 A.M. – 4 P.M. at the Agana Shopping Center 2nd floor (area above Esprit).
C. Thursday, May 9 – Parent Teacher Student Association (PTSA) Meeting in the Media Center/Library at
6:30 P.M. All parents/guardians and students are invited to attend.
D. Annual district-wide assessments – SBA Testing continues through Thursday, May 2.
E. Friday, May 24 – last day of school; we have an Islander bell schedule, which means students meet all six classes.
F. Summer School Registration is ongoing for students in need of credit recovery. Students should see their counselor. Priority is given to seniors and juniors. Start date is June 18.
2. National Teacher Appreciation Week is celebrated on May 6-10, 2019. Teachers play a critical role in educating and shaping our students – our future leaders! Our teachers are kind, patient, and dedicated. Please join us in recognizing and thanking our teachers! Biba Teachers! Biba JFKHS!
3. STUDENT CLEARANCES: Adhere to deadlines for returning books and clearing obligations with your teachers.
4. Starting Monday, May 20 through the end of school on May 24, students are not allowed to bring backpacks or duffle bags to school – for safety reasons. Students may use clear plastic bags or small lunch bags that are subject to search.
5. SY2019-20 starts on Tuesday, August 13, 2019. Have a safe and fun-filled summer!
6. JFK’s Lock-Out Policy is in effect. Students should be in their classes before the tardy bell rings. Be responsible!
7. Attention all Male Students: The Selective Service Law requires young men ages 18 to 25 to register with the Selective Service. Seventeen (17) year old males must register within 30 days of their 18th birthday; individuals may also pre-register at the age of 17. Students who need to register may do so online in the library during the week of May 13-17. Students will be given updates in the Social Studies and Language Arts classes.
8. JFK Uniform Drive – drop off your donations on May 28-31 in the main office from 6 AM – 2 PM. Please ensure that the uniforms are clean and usable. Thanks, in advance, for your generosity!
9. If there are any changes to student demographic information or residency, the parent/guardian must meet with the Counseling clerk to update PowerSchool. If you haven’t done so, please fill out the Emergency and Health Information Form (EIHF) and submit it to the Nurse’s Office.
10. Public-Law 34-01- the minimum age of legal access to tobacco products and electronic cigarettes is 21 years of age. Students caught in possession of these contraband items and/or smoking will be dealt with according to the law and board policies. All confiscated electronic cigarette devices, such as vape, will be confiscated from the student and submitted to the Guam Police Department.
11. Make-up Work: Students are responsible
12. For safety reasons, random searches and evacuation drills are conducted on a monthly basis.
13. Fridays are designated as Islander Pride/Spirit Days. Students are permitted to wear their club & organization shirt, class T-shirt, or JFKHS team jersey. For the latter, tank/sleeveless tops must be worn with a tee-shirt underneath.
• Spirit shirts must represent a chartered JFKHS club/organization or official team and must bear the words “JFKHS,” “John F. Kennedy High School,” the likeness of John F. Kennedy, and/or the JFKHS logo.
• Students wearing spirit shirts must wear their school uniform pants/shorts.
14. Because we are a closed campus, only immediate family members may deliver their child/sibling’s lunch to the Main Office between 10-10:45 A.M. Please inform your child to proceed to the Main Office at the start of lunch to get his/her food.
15. The Administration has a standing practice that we do not accept any birthday or special-occasion deliveries for
students, for example, flowers, candy grams, stuffed animals, balloons, etc.
16. Students using the Kmart crosswalk are expected to follow the traffic signals. Jaywalking is against the law. Think safety first!
17. The speed limit on campus is 5 MPH.
18. Graduation requirements are 24 credits (as per Board Policy 351.4) and 75 hours of service learning hours (Public Law 30-53). See your counselor for a credit check, and see your teachers for service learning opportunities. Visit the Guam Service Learning website too.
Thank you for your support and assistance in helping us to meet our objectives. As a reminder, updates are available via the school website: www.jfkislanders.com, the parent and student portals of PowerSchool, and the school marquee. Have a great day!
Dr. Adamos, Principal, and Administrative Team