Week of May 6 – May 10, 2019
- Teacher Appreciation Week: This week is Teacher Appreciation Week from May 6th through 10th. Show your appreciation daily to your teachers starting today, Monday May 6 with ‘Make your teacher a card! Tell them one thing you like most about his/her class’. For more ideas for that week, please see posters posted around the school campus and listen for more ideas on the PA. Show your teachers you truly appreciate what they do for you and your classmates this week by doing the following:
Monday May 6: Make your teacher a card! Tell them one thing you like most about his/her class.
Tuesday May 7: Draw or create a picture for your teacher. Incorporate their favorite colors into the picture.
Wednesday May 8: Bring a flower! It can be a drawing, a handmade flower, or a real flower/plant.
Thursday May 9: Make a card with your favorite positive/ inspirational quote or saying that would make your teacher’s day special.
Friday May 10: BE CREATIVE! Make something for your teacher that doesn’t cost much… a Haiku….a drawing….. a poem… to let your teachers know how you appreciate him or her.
- Chamoru Arts Classes: Attention All Students! Do you think you have Culture? Do you like to dance, sing, play guitar or drum? Would you like to travel to the Philippines and Japan and promote the Chamoru language and culture? Then sign up for the Traditional Chamoru Arts Classes (WL301)! Please see your counselors and sign up for the class for SY 2019-2020. Should you have any questions or concerns, feel free to see Siñot BJ Terlaje in room D216.
- Interested in taking Band for School Year 2019-2020: Please sign up for band in the counseling office. See Ms. Tanya to sign up starting Tuesday April 30, 2019.
- University of Guam’s Educational Talent Search (ETS) college prep program is now accepting applications from eligible high school students from 9th to 12th grade. ETS offers academic tutoring, College & Career exploration activities, assistance with College Applications, Financial Aid and scholarship applications, College Entrance (SAT/ACT) Fee waivers, financial literacy and more. All services are FREE! For more information see Mr. Lujan in the counselling office.
- No Backpacks: Starting Monday, May 20 through the end of the school on May 24, students are not allowed to bring backpacks or duffle bags to school for safety reason. Students may use clear plastic bags or small lunch bags that are subject to search.
- JFK Uniform Drive: Drop off your uniform donations on May 28-31 in the main office from 6AM – 2PM. Please ensure that the uniforms are clean and usable. Thanks, in advance for your generosity!
- Service Learning Opportunity: Show everyone you are talented in singing, dancing or acting! Be a part of the Museum theater Service learning Program bringing WWII era historical figures to life. Open auditions are held on May 9, Thursday and May 10, Friday, at 2 pm at the Guam Museum Indoor Theater. Open to all high school students. Contact Amanda O’Brien at 477-7278, ext. 1018 or check guamservicelearning.com
- Service Learning Opportunity: Third Annual Merizo Pier Project is May 11, 2019 from 10am-2pm. The Event is titled ‘Mother Earth Revitalization and Conservation Fair’ There will be games, giveaways, interactive activities and outreach to the community by sharing of ideas on why the environment is important and what is the meaning of environmentally conscious practices to students. Sponsored by Americorp, you will need to provide a volunteer registration form if you choose to attend. Pick up the form from the main office starting Monday, May 6. Submit your completed forms to Ms. Diniega by Thursday, May 9 by the end of the day.
- JFKHS Positive Behavior Expectations: Be SAFE. Be RESPECTFUL. Be RESPONSIBLE.
- Senior Prom: The Class of 2019 presents the Senior Prom – Carpe Noctem on Friday, May 10th from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Dusit Thani Hotel in Tumon. Tickets are $45 and can be purchased in the counseling office during lunch starting Wednesday, April 10. Ticket prices will increase as we get closer to Prom. Be sure to purchase yours today.
- Seniors!: SOP packets are to be picked up from Mrs.Moore at the gym. If you haven’t picked up your packets, please do so, since that has information about graduation.
- Workkeys: Seniors! This is your last chance to go for the gold! The final dates to take the WorkKeys Assessments are next week–Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Sign up with any Business Ed teacher in A207, A208 or A211. Work your WorkKeys, Seniors!
- GCC Summer Success Program: Attention Seniors! Are you interested in attending GCC in the fall? FREE Summer Success Program is available for eligible seniors to brush up on math and English for the placement test, assistance with registration and FAFSA application, and career exploration. Slots are limited to 30 students. Please see Ms. Nanpei in the Counseling Office for more information.
- GCC Boot Camp: Seniors! FREE Transportation Boot Camp this summer. 20 slots available. Earn nationally recognized certification and skills in Welding, Plumbing, and Painting/Blasting. Please see Ms. Nanpei in the Counseling Office for more information.
- Charlie Corn Scholarship Awards application: deadline has been extended to May 13, 2019. See your counselor for more information.
- UOG Lions Club Scholarship:Attention Seniors! The University of Guam Triton’s Lions Club is proud to announce their first ever Lion’s Club Scholarship. To promote higher education, UOG Tritons Lions Club will be providing financial assistance for aspiring college students in the pursuit of their professional goals. The Lions Club will choose two (2) graduating high school seniors to be awarded $500 each. For more information visit your counselor or email email@example.com.
- Financial Aid for College: Attention Seniors! Need money for college? See if you qualify for the Pell Grant, College Work Study, and other types of aid by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA. The FAFSA is accepting applications starting October 1. Apply online at fafsa.govusing the SY 2019-2020 form.
- Women’s Club Scholarships: Attention Seniors! Guam Women’s Club Scholarships are open to all students (male or female) who will attend GCC or UOG during the Fall 2019 semester. For applications and more information, please see your counselor.
- GWC Horecky/Wheeler Scholarship for Guam Community College: Fall 2019 semester, Can be used for tuition, fees, books and required bookstore supplies, Applicable for All Majors at GCC, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need
- GWC Rick Biolchino Memorial Scholarship for Guam Community College: Fall 2019 semester, Covers tuition, fees, books and required supplies, $1000 scholarship, Marketing or Visual Communications Major at GCC, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need
- GWC Joanne B. Huff Memorial Scholarship for Guam Community College Scholarship (Sponsored by Lynda Frenay): Fall 2019 semester, Covers tuition, fees, books and required supplies, Medical Assisting Major/Degree, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need.
ATTENTION TEACHERS, FACULTY and STAFF
- May Team Products: are due Friday, May 24 or sooner. Please do your best to submit 4th quarter literacy project evidence as soon as possible just to get them out of the way!
- PTEP End-of-the-Year Reports: are due to your evaluator this Friday, May 10 by close of business. All EOY conferences should be completed during the week of May 13. Plan accordingly.
- End of the Year Potluck Luncheon: on Tuesday, May 28 at 11 A.M. in the cafeteria. See link to sign up. Thanks Mr. Sharma for setting up the link. Link to Group Meal: PerfectPotluck.com/LMRC1419
- Year End Survey– Please complete this survey by this Friday. Please send the link to your students and parents. https://sites.google.com/a/gdoe.net/rpe/
- Attention Staff: The JFK Class of 2019 will be graduating here on campus on Wednesday, June 5. No 12-month staff will be on leave this day! It’s all hands on deck to be able to have a successful ceremony! More details are forthcoming!
- Last Coffee Connection: is on Thursday, May 23 afterschool. Hosted by Science, GCC, Chamorro, and Librarian!
- Summer School Teacher Applications: should be submitted to my office before May 17, 2019. Orientation for teachers will be on June 17 at 9 a.m. Student orientation for Summer School will be announced at a later date.
- End of Year Clearance: includes reviewing your PTEP Goals, parent/student perception surveys and PTEP evidence with your evaluator. Please make sure that all necessary documentation has been collected to ensure a stress free EOY clearance.
- TE Program Interviews:Attention Teachers! GCC CTE Programs will be holding interviews for freshmen students interested in enrolling in next year’s programs. We would like to ask for your consideration in releasing these students to attend these brief interviews. Corridor passes will be provided to the students. Your consideration and support is greatly appreciated.
- PTEP: End of the Year Report due May 10; conferences with PTEP evaluator May 13-17.
- PTEP: Walkthroughs are in progress. Lesson Plans and Unit Plans should be provided.
Friday, May 5, 2019 @ JFK
· 6:30pm St. Paul vs. JFK
Tuesday, May 7, 2019 @ Tiyan
· 4:15pm JFK vs. Tiyan
TRACK & FIELD
Friday, May 10, 2019 @ JFK
· 4:30pm JFK vs.Okkodo
Friday, May 17, 2019 @ JFK
· 4:30pm ALL ISLAND
Saturday, May 11, 2019 @ Matapang
· 7:00am 1000m & 500m FINALS
- Our school bulletin will be published once a week, every Monday. Please, submit announcement(s) electronically to Mrs. Anub, Assistant Principal (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 12:00 noon on Thursdays. Submission of announcements later than the noon deadline will be honored on the next day of publication. Please indicate if announcements are to be made on the morning intercom or published in the bulletin or BOTH.
- Student submissions for the bulletin must be acknowledged by the advisor/teacher/coach.