Week of April 8 – April 12, 2019
- District Wide Assessments: ATTENTION ISLANDERS! District-Wide Assessments begin this week Tuesday through Thursday (April 9, 10 & 11) with the ACT Aspire for the Class of 2021 and 2022. School-wide Standards Based Assessment (SBA) will be from April 25 to May 2. During DWA days, there will be a modified bell schedule. Please check with your teachers for more information. Do your best to get a restful sleep, attend school, eat breakfast, and answer test items to the best of your abilities! BIBA ISLANDERS!
- JFK Music and Vivace: Vivace invites you to join them at their Spring Concert featuring Voce Nuevo THIS Friday & Saturday evening at our school gym. They will perform a variety of music by Queen, Michael Jackson, Coldplay, The Fray, Pink, Katy Perry, Michael Buble’, and songs of Disney, just to name a few.Tickets can be purchased in the main office or in the choir room. Hope to see you there!
- Tiger Classic: Congratulations to our Islanders who competed in the 2019 Tiger Classic, Taipei and Brent Track and Field Meet! Our team brought home 6 gold medals, 1 silver, and 1 bronze. Richelle Tugade (3 gold medals, 1 silver), Ryan Kent (1 bronze and 2 gold medals), and Johnizha Laleo (Gold medal in Javelin). Outstanding job Islanders!
- GCC Programs: Hafa Adai 9th and 10th graders, there are still available slots for the next school year in the following GCC Programs: Automotive – 17 slots, Carpentry – 8 slots, ProStart – 4 slots. See Ms. Nanpei in the Counseling Office if you are interested.
- Yearbooks: may now be purchased for $80 during lunch at Mr. Ortega’s class, D116, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Last day to purchase yearbooks is April 26, 2019. Get yours soon!
- University of Guam’s Educational Talent Search (ETS) college prep program is now accepting applications from eligible high school students from 9th to 12th grade. ETS offers academic tutoring, College & Career exploration activities, assistance with College Applications, Financial Aid and scholarship applications, College Entrance (SAT/ACT) Fee waivers, financial literacy and more. All services are FREE! For more information see Mr. Lujan in the counselling office.
- CHamoru Klab: Any students interested in joining the CHamoru Klab, please join us in room B107 every Wednesday during the second half of lunch!
- WAY or Class Officers: Anyone interested in running for class officers and WAY officers pls pick up election packet at Room D108.
- JFKHS Positive Behavior Expectations: Be SAFE. Be RESPECTFUL. Be RESPONSIBLE.
- Career and Technical Education Programs:Freshmen Students! GCC is offering the following Career and Technical Education Programs (CTE) at JFK: Lodging Management Program, ProStart (culinary), Marketing, Allied Health (nursing), Construction Trades and Automotive. If you are interested in signing up for any of these programs, please see Mrs. RoseMarie Nanpei in the JFK Counseling Office.
- Senior Prom: The Class of 2019 presents the Senior Prom – Carpe Noctem on Friday, May 10th from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Dusit Thani Hotel in Tumon. Tickets are $45 and can be purchased in the counseling office during lunch starting Wednesday, April 10. Ticket prices will increase as we get closer to Prom. Be sure to purchase yours today.
- Senior Prom Royal Court: Interested in running for the 2019 Senior Prom Royal Court? Pick up packets in B209 during lunch or see any class officer.
- Senior Yearbook Info: SENIORS, please verify your Yearbook information at B206 from April 23-25, during lunch only.
- GCC Summer Success Program: Attention Seniors! Are you interested in attending GCC in the fall? FREE Summer Success Program is available for eligible seniors to brush up on math and English for the placement test, assistance with registration and FAFSA application, and career exploration. Slots are limited to 30 students. Please see Ms. Nanpei in the Counseling Office for more information.
- GCC Boot Camp: Seniors! FREE Transportation Boot Camp this summer. 20 slots available. Earn nationally recognized certification and skills in Welding, Plumbing, and Painting/Blasting. Please see Ms. Nanpei in the Counseling Office for more information.
- Workkeys: Seniors! Seniors! Seniors! Tick tock…it’s time to clock those hours on WorkKeys! Graduating Seniors will be taking the WorkKeys Assessments beginning April 24th. Are you ready, Seniors? See the Business Ed teachers in A207, A208, or A211 for details. Work your WorkKeys, Seniors. Mark your calendar for April 24th.
- UOG Lions Club Scholarship:Attention Seniors! The University of Guam Triton’s Lions Club is proud to announce their first ever Lion’s Club Scholarship. To promote higher education, UOG Tritons Lions Club will be providing financial assistance for aspiring college students in the pursuit of their professional goals. The Lions Club will choose two (2) graduating high school seniors to be awarded $500 each. For more information visit your counselor or email email@example.com.
- Financial Aid for College: Attention Seniors! Need money for college? See if you qualify for the Pell Grant, College Work Study, and other types of aid by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA. The FAFSA is accepting applications starting October 1. Apply online at fafsa.govusing the SY 2019-2020 form. Counselors will be in English 12 classes in October to present FAFSA information.
- Women’s Club Scholarships: Attention Seniors! Guam Women’s Club Scholarships are open to all students (male or female) who will attend GCC or UOG during the Fall 2019 semester. For applications and more information, please see your counselor.
- Guam Community College GWC, The Birthday Club Scholarship: Fall 2019 semester only, Can be used for tuition, books and other required materials, Four (4) $1000 scholarships to be awarded (Deadline is Tuesday, April 23, 2019)
- GWC Horecky/Wheeler Scholarship for Guam Community College: Fall 2019 semester, Can be used for tuition, fees, books and required bookstore supplies, Applicable for All Majors at GCC, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need
- GWC Rick Biolchino Memorial Scholarship for Guam Community College: Fall 2019 semester, Covers tuition, fees, books and required supplies, $1000 scholarship, Marketing or Visual Communications Major at GCC, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need
- GWC Joanne B. Huff Memorial Scholarship for Guam Community College Scholarship (Sponsored by Lynda Frenay): Fall 2019 semester, Covers tuition, fees, books and required supplies, Medical Assisting Major/Degree, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need
ATTENTION TEACHERS, FACULTY and STAFF
- 4th Qtr Progress Reports: will distributed on Friday, April 12, during 2nd period Home Base. Please make sure you have inputted all the necessary grades, comments and service learning hours to help ensure student, parents and guardians are informed about the student’s progress in your classroom. The printing of progress reports is April 11, noon.
- Grade Input: Please remember to make sure all grades are computed correctly by checking your grade book settings. All grades should not go over 100%. Inputting citizenship is encouraged to let students and parents know about student behavior and attitude.
- Summer School Teacher Applications: should be submitted to my office before May 17, 2019. Orientation for teachers will be on June 17 at 9 a.m. Student orientation for Summer School will be announced at a later date.
- End of Year Clearance: includes reviewing your PTEP Goals, parent/student perception surveys and PTEP evidence with your evaluator. Please make sure that all necessary documentation has been collected to ensure a stress free EOY clearance.
- DWA Reminders: ACT Aspire testing dates are Apr. 9, 10, & 11; Standards-Based Assessment testing dates are Apr. 25, 26, 29, 30; May 1 & 2. Bell schedule will be sent later for planning purposes.
- GCC CTE Program Interviews:Attention Teachers! GCC CTE Programs will be holding interviews for freshmen students interested in enrolling in next year’s programs. We would like to ask for your consideration in releasing these students to attend these brief interviews. Corridor passes will be provided to the students. Your consideration and support is greatly appreciated.
- Kennedy Celebration: Assembly has been rescheduled to Friday, April 12.
- PTEP: End of the Year Report due May 10; conferences with PTEP evaluator May 13-17.
- PTEP: Walkthroughs are in progress. Lesson Plans and Unit Plans should be provided.
Tuesday, Apr. 2, 2019 @ JFK
· 5:30pm St. John’s vs. JFK
Friday, Apr. 5, 2019 @ JFK
· 5:30pm JFK vs. Okkodo
Tuesday, Apr. 9, 2019 @ JFK
· 5:30pm Guam High vs. JFK
Tuesday, Apr. 16, 2019 @ JFK
· 5:30pm Notre Dame vs. JFK
Tuesday, Apr. 2, 2019 @ JFK
· 6:30pm Academy vs. JFK
Thursday, Apr. 4, 2019 @ JFK
· 6:30pm GW vs. JFK
Tuesday, Apr. 9, 2019 @ JFK
· 6:30pm Notre Dame vs. JFK
Thursday, Apr. 11, 2019 @ Guam High
· 4:15pm JFK vs. Guam High
TRACK & FIELD
Friday, Apr. 5, 2019 @ Guam High
· 4:30pm Guam High vs. JFK
Friday, Apr. 12, 2019 @ Guam High
· 4:30pm GW vs. JFK
· 4:30pm Tiyan vs. JFK
Friday, Apr. 26, 2019 @ JFK
· 4:30pm JFK vs. Sanchez
· 4:30pm JFK vs. St. John’s
Saturday, Apr. 6, 2019 @ Matapang
· 7:00am 500m & 500m
Saturday, Apr. 20, 2019 @ Matapang
· 7:00am 1000m & 500m
Saturday, Apr. 27, 2019 @ Matapang
· 2000m Slalom
Saturday, May 11, 2019 @ Matapang
· 7:00am 1000m & 500m FINALS
- Our school bulletin will be published once a week, every Monday. Please, submit announcement(s) electronically to Mrs. Anub, Assistant Principal (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 12:00 noon on Thursdays. Submission of announcements later than the noon deadline will be honored on the next day of publication. Please indicate if announcements are to be made on the morning intercom or published in the bulletin or BOTH.
- Student submissions for the bulletin must be acknowledged by the advisor/teacher/coach.