Week of March 18 – March 22, 2019
- Special Olympics: Congratulations to all our athletes who participated in this weekend’s Special Olympics. A job well done Islanders!
- Congratulations to all participants at the Chamoru Language Competition: held on Tuesday, March 12th at the University of Guam Field House! Congratulations to Senior, Bobbie Pangelinan for placing 2nd in the Individual Female Singer Category. Congratulations to the following students: Ashely Paulino, Amaya Griffin, Sarah Escalera, Tereay Quinata, Kiana Rivera, Ha’ani Harper, Bobbie Pangelinan, Isalynn Barcinas, EJ Reyes, Juan Sarmiento, Maliah Palacios and Jeremiah Taitingfong for placing 3rd in the Song With Dance Category. JFK was well represented! Thank You to All who participated! Biba Chamoru!
- Vivace Music Spirit Shirts on Sale: Attention Islanders! Vivaceis taking pre-orders for JFK Music Spirit Shirts in Pink, Black, White, Athletic Gray, and Navy Blue for only $10 each. Designs are posted throughout the campus. Please see any Vivace member or place your order in the choir room, D101, during break or lunch only. The last day to order and pay is Monday, March 18.
- GCC Programs: Hafa Adai 9th and 10th graders, there are still available slots for the next school year in the following GCC Programs: Automotive – 17 slots, Carpentry – 8 slots, ProStart – 4 slots. See Ms. Nanpei in the Counseling Office if you are interested.
- Yearbooks: may now be purchased for $80 during lunch at Mr. Ortega’s class, D116, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Last day to purchase yearbooks is April 26, 2019. Get yours soon!
- Yearbook Advertisements: Want a great way to congratulate your favorite Senior or a group of Senior friends? Yearbook congratulatory advertisements are on sale now. Half page advertisements are $50 (self-made) or $70 (Yearbook-made), while full-page advertisements are $100 (self-made) or $120 (Yearbook-made). Advertisements can be purchased at Mr. Ortega’s class, D116, during lunch on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The last day to purchase an advertisement is March 22.
- University of Guam’s Educational Talent Search (ETS) college prep program is now accepting applications from eligible high school students from 9th to 12th grade. ETS offers academic tutoring, College & Career exploration activities, assistance with College Applications, Financial Aid and scholarship applications, College Entrance (SAT/ACT) Fee waivers, financial literacy and more. All services are FREE! For more information see Mr. Lujan in the counselling office.
- Youth for Youth Conference: Attention Islanders, the 2019 Youth for Youth Conference will be held Friday, April 5 to Sunday, April 7 at the Hyatt Regency Resort Guam. Registration fee is $100. See Mr. Lujan in the Counseling Office for registration details. There are only 10 slots available and are first come, first served.
- CHamoru Klab: Any students interested in joining the CHamoru Klab, please join us in room B107 every Wednesday during the second half of lunch!
- March 2019 ASVAB Testing: Attention ALL 10th-12th graders. The March 2019 ASVAB testing sign-up is now available. Testing isOpen to ALL 10th-12th graders who are interested in testing for the first time or re-test. Seating is limited so see your Counselor to sign-up ASAP!
- JFKHS Positive Behavior Expectations: Be SAFE. Be RESPECTFUL. Be RESPONSIBLE.
- PSAT 9: ATTENTION FRESHMEN! The PSAT 9 will be administered on Wednesday, March 26, 2019 students who are interested must pay the test fee of $11.00 and see Mr. Lujan in the Counselling Office with their receipt. There are only 25 slots available. PSAT Payments may be made in the Main Office in the morning, break, lunch or before 2pm. PSAT payments will start being accepted on Wednesday, February 27, 2019.
- Career and Technical Education Programs:Freshmen Students! GCC is offering the following Career and Technical Education Programs (CTE) at JFK: Lodging Management Program, ProStart (culinary), Marketing, Allied Health (nursing), Construction Trades and Automotive. If you are interested in signing up for any of these programs, please see Mrs. RoseMarie Nanpei in the JFK Counseling Office.
- PSAT 10: ATTENTION SOPHOMORES, the PSAT 10 will be administered on Thursday, March 27, 2018 students who are interested must pay the test fee of $16.00 and see Mr. Lujan in the Counselling Office with their receipt and to pick up the PSAT10 Student Guide. There are only 25 slots. PSAT Payments may be made in the Main Office in the morning, break, lunch or before 2pm. PSAT payments will start being accepted on Wednesday, February 27, 2019.
- Questbridge College Prep Scholars Program: Juniors! The 2019 QuestBridge College Prep Scholars Program equips academically outstanding, low-income students with the knowledge, confidence, and resources to apply to the nation’s best colleges. Awards May Include: Full scholarship to a college summer program at Stanford, Yale, Emory, and more, Quest for Excellence Awards, such as funding for a laptop, campus visits, or test score fees OR Personalized college essay feedback, and more! Free, online application is due on March 20, 2019.See your counselor for more information.
- Workkeys: Seniors! Seniors! Seniors! Tick tock…it’s time to clock those hours on WorkKeys! Graduating Seniors will be taking the WorkKeys Assessments beginning April 24th. Are you ready, Seniors? See the Business Ed teachers in A207, A208, or A211 for details. Work your WorkKeys, Seniors. Mark your calendar for April 24th.
- UOG Lions Club Scholarship:Attention Seniors! The University of Guam Triton’s Lions Club is proud to announce their first ever Lion’s Club Scholarship. To promote higher education, UOG Tritons Lions Club will be providing financial assistance for aspiring college students in the pursuit of their professional goals. The Lions Club will choose two (2) graduating high school seniors to be awarded $500 each. For more information visit your counselor or email email@example.com.
- Financial Aid for College: Attention Seniors! Need money for college? See if you qualify for the Pell Grant, College Work Study, and other types of aid by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA. The FAFSA is accepting applications starting October 1. Apply online at fafsa.govusing the SY 2019-2020 form. Counselors will be in English 12 classes in October to present FAFSA information.
- Women’s Club Scholarships: Attention Seniors! Guam Women’s Club Scholarships are open to all students (male or female) who will attend GCC or UOG during the Fall 2019 semester. For applications and more information, please see your counselor.
- University of Guam GWC Scholarship: Fall 2019 award with option to continue until graduation if standards are met, Covers tuition/fees for up to 15 credit hours per semester (Deadline is Friday, April 5, 2019)
- Guam Community College GWC, The Birthday Club Scholarship: Fall 2019 semester only, Can be used for tuition, books and other required materials, Four (4) $1000 scholarships to be awarded (Deadline is Tuesday, April 23, 2019)
- GWC Horecky/Wheeler Scholarship for Guam Community College: Fall 2019 semester, Can be used for tuition, fees, books and required bookstore supplies, Applicable for All Majors at GCC, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need
- GWC Rick Biolchino Memorial Scholarship for Guam Community College: Fall 2019 semester, Covers tuition, fees, books and required supplies, $1000 scholarship, Marketing or Visual Communications Major at GCC, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need
- GWC Joanne B. Huff Memorial Scholarship for Guam Community College Scholarship (Sponsored by Lynda Frenay): Fall 2019 semester, Covers tuition, fees, books and required supplies, Medical Assisting Major/Degree, Based on academic merit, community service, and financial need
ATTENTION TEACHERS, FACULTY and STAFF
- Third Quarter ends: this Wednesday, Mar. 13. Grades are due Tuesday, Mar. 19.
- DWA Reminders (email sent last week: ACT Aspire testing dates are Apr. 9, 10, & 11; Standards-Based Assessment testing dates are Apr. 25, 26, 29, 30; May 1 & 2. Bell schedule will be sent later for planning purposes.
- February Team Products: are due March 18 or sooner ( includes 3rd Quarter Literacy Project evidence, 3rd Quarter Reflection, meeting minutes (dept & PLC), SMART goal updates, SBG updates, and other pertinent documents.
- GCC CTE Program Interviews:Attention Teachers! GCC CTE Programs will be holding interviews for freshmen students interested in enrolling in next year’s programs. We would like to ask for your consideration in releasing these students to attend these brief interviews. Corridor passes will be provided to the students. Your consideration and support is greatly appreciated.
- SPED Goals Prep Period Session(optional): March 28 (Thursday) and March 29 (Friday) in Main Conference Room These are sessions to train and discuss the development and creation of goals for students with an IEP. All Teachers are highly encouraged to attend.
- Special Olympics:March 16(Saturday) 7:00am – 3:30pm at Okkodo High School – Please support our Special Olympics Athletes!
- Report Cards:will be given to students during 2nd period homebase on Friday, March 22, 2019. Please do not forget to pick up report cards from your teacher box that morning to pass out to your students. Grades should be finalized and inputted by March 19. When finished with grades, notify myself and Morina. She will notify you to pick up the grade verification report for you to sign but please CHECK the grades first before returning the reports to her. Final notification that grades are done to Morina and myself is March 21 at 11 a.m. and by noon the gradebook will be locked so that no additional grades can be inputted. – Ms. Diniega
- Swift Alert for Teachers: This is an emergency group chat where you will be alerted to important and urgent messages. Morina sent out a test text messages this morning. If you did not receive one, please let her know and update your contact number. You will not be able to respond to the messages.
- Summer School SY 2018-2019: Summer Teacher contract and summer school program design form is attached. Please fill out these forms if you are interested in teaching summer school and submit all documents to my box. All the summer school information is mentioned in the teacher contract.
- Kennedy Celebration: Assembly has been rescheduled to Friday, April 12.
- DWA Prep Period Trainings: are on Apr. 4 & 5 in the Media Center during your respective prep periods.
- PTEP: End of the Year Report due May 10; conferences with PTEP evaluator May 13-17.
- PTEP: Walkthroughs are in progress. Lesson Plans and Unit Plans should be provided.
- Our school bulletin will be published once a week, every Monday. Please, submit announcement(s) electronically to Mrs. Anub, Assistant Principal (firstname.lastname@example.org) before 12:00 noon on Thursdays. Submission of announcements later than the noon deadline will be honored on the next day of publication. Please indicate if announcements are to be made on the morning intercom or published in the bulletin or BOTH.
- Student submissions for the bulletin must be acknowledged by the advisor/teacher/coach.